Construction Management: Making the Process Easier
Hiring Element Building as your general contractor on your commercial construction project is the first step in taking your building project to the next level and setting the stage to streamline the process. We connect the construction experts on our team with all the key players in your business to ensure communication is efficient and effective to complete the job. The construction management model works very well for businesses or companies that have existing design requirements in place or have previously engaged an architect for the job.
Areas of Element Building's construction management expertise:
- Multi-family Housing
- Retail Shop Space
- Medical & Dental Offices
- Office Space Build-out
- Industrial Buildings
- Government Buildings
Why Do I Need a General Contractor?
Most businesses and real estate developers have enough work to do in conducting day-to-day business, that the time required to self-manage a commercial construction job including hiring and interviewing subcontractors, getting building permits, daily oversite of subcontractor work and the final coordination of warranty work, is generally not in the best interest of the company.
Our experience working with start-up businesses and expansions has proven a common theme that shows a business owner is best served when they can concentrate their expertise on the operations of their core business and allow Element Building to handle 100% of the commercial construction project. Knowing you have one of the best in the industry working for you, will bring peace of mind.
If you are a real estate developer looking to partner with someone who not only understands the day-to-day responsibilities of the job site, but also the intricacies of the financial investment, governmental coordination and project timelines; Element Building should be your top choice as our team has experience in all aspects of development on many key projects in Central IL. Our business structure is very flexible to allow us to be as involved in the development process as the lead developer would desire. Element Building’s team is comfortable taking the lead role or functioning solely as the general contractor.
Work with our team in the following areas of central Illinois:
General Contracting Peoria, IL | General Contracting Morton, IL | General Contracting Galesburg, IL |
General Contracting Bloomington, IL | General Contracting Springfield, IL | General Contracting Champaign, IL
In the traditional construction management model, general contractors (occasionally referred to as GCs) primarily operate as facilitators during the construction process. What this means is that the contractor is responsible for providing all the material, labor, equipment and services necessary for the construction of the project. The general contractor hires specialized subcontractors (occasionally referred to as subs) to perform certain components of the construction work. In our model, our construction staff works in conjunction with the rest of the project team as we craft contracts, while we collect bids and as we begin work on the actual construction of the structure.
The short list of what you get by hiring a general contractor for construction management:
- Knowledge of the building process: the best GCs know what needs to be done, and in what order. It's very easy to have costs get out of control because of changes to the design once construction has started.
- Knowledge of build quality and design: the best GCs will daily supervise all the subs, and are constantly checking the quality of every sub's work against the design plans and standards
- Knowledge of building codes: the best GCs can inspect a subcontractor's work and know if it's up to code and additionally if there are local variations in codes and construction requirements that need to be considered.
- Knowledge of job scheduling: the GCs is the one who ensures the project stays on schedule.
- Professional relationships and connections: Many of the best subcontractors are selective about which jobs they will consider or have time for and will only work with the best GCs.
- Knowledge of contracting: GCs create and implement the contracts with all the suppliers and subcontractors to meet the design requirements.
Construction projects involve many subcontractors. One of the most important jobs of the construction manager is making certain every trade is performing at high standard.
The best construction managers are constantly on top of costs and makes the necessary adjustments when unexpected complications or issues arise.
Construction managers identify and eliminate possible safety hazards on the job site.
It is the job of the construction manager to ensure that every provision of the contract is being met and that all parties involved are fulfilling requirements.
Commercial construction and construction management is one area of Element Building’s expertise; you can learn more about our other services via the resources below: